Halloween Book Recommendations

Let me start by saying that I love Halloween. Because ever since I was a little girl, even though I was way more faint of heart than I am now, I've loved scary stories and the horror genre. So October is always a big month for me. Watching scary movies, reading scary books, coming up with a costume for the 31st, and our family has a small party when the day finally arrives. Halloween is a big deal to me. I want to share that.

Personally, I like to read only books that could be considered part of the horror genre during the month of October. I know that more and more readers are trying to treat themselves to spooky reads during the course of the month, but sometimes it can be hard to judge. I've seen people blindly pick up novels that are way too intense for them and scare themselves to badly it isn't fun anymore. I've seen people who actually wanted something intense and chose Victorian Era ghost stories that put them to sleep.

Then it occurred to me. I consider myself at least decently versed in horror, since I happen to love it so much. Why not create a guide? Below the cut are various categories, basically a spliced-up list that caters, hopefully, to everyone. If you're struggling to find a Halloween read that sounds good, maybe I can help.

By the by, the links that go with the books are mainly out of convenience. GoodReads has good summaries and easily accessible reviews, and Amazon shows a lot of different editions of books that you can purchase. If you have a preferred book site or online bookstore, by all means, use it. I'm just trying to make information available in the quickest and easiest way I know how.

Also, note the books with Project Gutenberg links. Those are free! They're in the public domain, and you can download them right now and read to your heart's content. If you didn't know about that site, I'd recommend having a good look around, as there is plenty more up for grabs than I could ever have time to list here.

That Classic In The Genre You Should Have Read By Now

You really do want to get serious about reading horror, but you've only read a couple books. You loved them, but where-to next? Trust me when I say that some books are popular for a reason.

Dracula by Bram Stoker - GoodReads : Amazon : Project Gutenberg - Free

The Shining by Stephen King - GoodReads : Amazon

The Books of Blood by Clive Barker - GoodReads : Amazon

The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris - GoodReads : Amazon

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson - GoodReads : Amazon

For the Easily Frightened

You want to enjoy your Halloween with a good book, but too much gore and violence leaves you feeling woozy. Never to fear! (Oh, that was sort of a pun...) There are books out there that won't keep you up all night while still having that creepy tone.

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving - GoodReads : Amazon : Project Gutenberg - Free

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson - GoodReads : Amazon : Project Gutenberg - Free

Coraline by Neil Gaiman - GoodReads : Amazon

The Collected Works of Edgar Allan Poe - GoodReads : Amazon : Project Gutenberg - Free

For Those Who Want Something More Intense (Warnings for violence of all shapes and sizes apply)

You're bored with those tame stories where no one dies. You yawn at ghosts and vampires. If it's not messy, it's not for you. Well, if these books don't grab you, nothing will.

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis - GoodReads : Amazon

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk - GoodReads : Amazon

From Hell by Alan Moore - GoodReads : Amazon

Uzumaki by Junji Ito (Note: There are three volumes in all.) - GoodReads : Amazon

The Fog by James Herbert - GoodReads : Amazon

That Forgotten Book You Should Check Out

You feel like you've read it all. There's just nothing left. Wait a minute! Have you heard of these?

The Cipher by Kathe Koja - GoodReads : Amazon

Dominion by Bentley Little - GoodReads : Amazon

Really, Really, Really, Really Weird Stories by John Shirley - GoodReads : Amazon

The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen - GoodReads : Amazon : Project Gutenberg - Free

Mystery Walk by Robert R. McCammon - GoodReads : Amazon