Goodreads Meme

1. What was the last book you marked as 'Read'?

The Face Burglar by Junji Ito, which is a horror manga collecting five different "short stories" by the artist/author.

2. What are you 'Currently Reading'?

Before They Are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie, the second book in The First Law Trilogy.

3. What was the last book you marked as 'To-Read'?

Maybe this makes me weird, but I don't mark books as "to-read". I don't like my book list being incredibly long when I haven't read that many. I feel like I'm misleading people who look at my profile and see I intend to read a lot but haven't read nearly as many books as I have listed. I only list "read" and "currently reading".

4. What book do you plan to read next?

Probably The Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie, which is the third book in The First Law Trilogy.

5. Do you use the star rating system?

Yes, I do. From one to five, one being absolute dreck not worth the paper its printed on and five being the best time I ever had.

6. Are you doing a 2014 reading challenge?

Yes, and my goal is to read 50 books. So far I'm at 24.

7. Do you have a wishlist?

I have an Amazon wishlist for several reasons. One being that it's so easy to keep track of the books I'm interested in that way. It's a lot easier than keeping a written list of what I want to buy, and because I use Amazon a lot when I buy books, it's also much easier to just add it to my cart when I'm ready. Also, for birthday and Christmas, all I have to do is pass on the link when people ask me what I want. It's very convenient.

8. What book do you want to buy next?

After The First Law Trilogy, Joe Abercrombie wrote three standalone novels in the same universe: Best Served Cold, The Heroes, and Red Country. And I want them ALL.

9. Do you have any favorite quotes? Would you like to share a few?

Here. My favorite quotes page on Goodreads. Call me lazy, but if Goodreads won't let me copy and paste the damn quotes, then screw it.

10. Who are your favorite authors?

Stephen King, Bret Easton Ellis, Kurt Vonnegut, Tanith Lee, Gillian Flynn, Harlan Ellison, and the list goes on for a lot longer than that, but out of respect for you, the reader, I'll limit myself.

11. Have you joined any groups?

The following two questions were added by A Reciprocal Love Affair With Books:

11b. Last book you abandoned?

Entirely with no intention of going back to it? I bought this book at the dollar store (hey, sometimes they have good stuff), and it was a total cover buy. It looked pretty, so I picked it up. When I started reading the first, few pages, it struck me that this was a book intended for a middle grade audience. And it wasn't particularly grand. I didn't care for the first-person narrator's voice. It was called Creepers, but I don't recall who it was by. I just sort of passed on it after that.

11c. Who are your favorite literary antagonists?

Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Pennywise the Dancing Clown from It by Stephen King. Patrick Bateman from American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.

12.  Are there any questions you'd like to add to this tag?

Yes, and here we go.

13. How do you feel about "unlikeable" characters?

I want to broach this topic, because I see a lot of people who hate a book based solely on the fact that the main character was unlikeable. In my humble opinion, so long as a character is strongly written and engaging, I'm not concerned with whether or not I agree with what they do or if we could hang out and be buddies. Intesting and likeable are not the same things.

People I'd like to tag:

Anyone that feels like they'd like to, go for it!